Monday, December 09, 2013

Flaps and vertical tail

Finished the flaps and riveted/bolted the vertical tail.



Found out how to achieve correct holes so the CCC-42 rivet stems don't get pulled through. First I filed my 120 degree dimple die (used in a C or squeezer) a bit more so that the male end enters fully a hole drilled with a #31 drill bit with no friction or without having to use any force. Then I revisited what is actually said about deburring of holes that is to be riveted. In the book "Standard Aircraft Handbook" by Larry Reitmayer it says that burrs under either side of the rivet is no concern, but should be removed if the sheet is not to be used immediately to not cause scratching when stored or injury to personnel. Drill chips between sheets should be removed. Removal of any "appreciable" amount of material from the edge of the rivet hole should not be done. Although I have not removed any appreciable amount, I have used a normal rotating deburring tool. So, with the trimmed dimple and deburring with a glove, a perfect rivet with a #31 dimpled hole.
Since Lasse has not yet shown up, I have yet to rivet the skin on the horizontal stab. The h-stab has #30 deburred and dimpled holes, and none of those rivets will actually fit correctly. I still have the choice to use solid rivets and Cherrymax. I will see.

No comments: