Saturday, January 28, 2017

Reaming wing pin hole

The I do it is to: First make the plates fit into each other by sanding a little here and there. Then put the wings together without the ribs on the inner section. With the ribs, the drill just won't fit. Then drill up the pin hole in steps to 9.3 mm (number U drill, or N?) This was done in steps, and was rather difficult. I finally got to use my Drill Doctor 500 to something useful. Then I used a adjustable reamer to ream the hole to correct size. How this is supposed to be done without an adjustable reamer is impossible to understand. I did this step vise by widening the reamer with 1/2 turn first, them 1/4 turn, and reamed until the pin just fitted. It is as good as it is possible to get it I think. I also polished the pin first, because that was not done from the factory.

The nylon pin guide needs to be coned up a little to allow the pin to get all through the holes.

Now I need to rivet on the outer ribs, and put the wing back on and ream up the other two holes.

One thing I have completely forgotten was that I had bought the wing pin kit from Ward also. This is with D=10.3 mm instead of 9.5 mm, considerable stronger. I can use that as a reserve in case the holes should widen with time. I don't know, I would probably rather use M10 bolt instead?







No comments: