Sunday, October 27, 2013

Elevator and H-stab

Finished the elevator as far as I could without match-drilling to correct size. 1/8 rivets usually requires #30 drill bit. But from Mike when using flush rivets the holes needs to be smaller, and #31 or #32 drill bits shall be used. I am not entirely sure why, but I would guess that if the holes are "too large" the stem will break off too late and will protrude above the rivet, and this will not look good. I ordered a bunch of 31 and 32 drill bits as well as #30 since my last one got worn and useless when drilling the elevator horn (what kind of steel is that horn made of? )

Both halves of the elevator are now drilled in place with the hinges. The only way to fit the stab-side of the hinges is now to completely finish the elevators with the hinges riveted on, or else I could end up with having to file each and every of the 66 lobs on the hinges if I am a fraction of a millimeter wrong.

The hinges on the elevator shall be 1.45 mm down from the upper surface. Luckily I had a large carpenters ruler that were exactly 1.45 mm thick that I used as an offset.

Tried the skin on the stab, and to my surprise it fits. Several brackets and ribs on the stab needs modification though due to interference.








No comments: