Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Ailerons, primer and top coat

Bought Topgloss BR (Polysiloxane) at COOP along with some rollers and other stash. Then I went to the drug store and got some 60 ml syringes so I can accurately mix smaller amounts of the Topgloss. The syringes were surprisingly inexpensive, 3.5 NOK or about 0.4 Euro a piece.

Finished deburring the cutouts in the ailerons and measured up all the rivets for the ribs. Then I scuffed a test sheet of aluminium to test the Topgloss. I primed half of it with the vinyl primer and left the other half, just to find out how the Topgloss is with primer and without primer. I let it dry until tomorrow. The sheet is actually a faulty piece of RV horizontal stab skin. I really miss my old priming booth when testing all these primers and coating.

I haven't heard anything from Jotun about using Topgloss BR with no primer, so I just have to try it and see how it goes. If this works out, I will coat the whole plane with Topgloss instead of polishing. I'm not too keen on coating the whole plane with this vinyl primer with rattle cans though. If a primer is needed, then my old Monopol wash/etch primer gives a really smooth and thin coat, if it is compatible with Topgloss. But it is also possible to thin out the canned version of the vinyl primer and spray it on with air and achieve the same thickness as the wash primer (30-40 micrometers). Theoretically a 35 micrometer primer covered with a 35 micrometer Topgloss BR gives a total added weight of approximately 2 kg. This weight penalty is nothing when knowing that the polysiloxane is better than any polyurethane out there. In the cockpit I can also use Topgloss BR, hopefully with no primer.

Then the whole plane will be "Pegasus Grey" with tips and cowling in "Draco Red" and maybe with some trimmings in Draco Red as well.










No comments: