Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Right aileron hinge

The holes for the aileron hinge also stiffens up and shapes the aileron. I almost did a huge mistake here because the ribs, only at the root and tip, pushes the two bent halves a few mm apart. When the aileron is laid upside down and I tried to push with a flat hand at mid span, the surface will come too far down. When released the aileron will have a nice banana shape. What I did was to push the edge down with a file to get the lower surface flat on the table, then hold the hinge in place with my thumb and the other finger at the trailing edge without pushing the surface down. It ended up 100% straight.



Had to try the Topgloss once more as well. This time I rolled on a thicker layer, then use a foam brush to smooth it out. It became better, but far from OK on an airplane. High gloss and brush and roller is not a good combination no matter what the advertising says. Also sprayed some transparent coat on a piece of aluminium that was sanded with 1000 paper. Looks a bit cool, but I'm not convinced.

No comments: