Saturday, January 04, 2014

Aileron paddles

According to Kerry the drawings are correct and should be followed regarding the paddles. OK, this means that only one single paddle of the four are correct, and that is the left hand inboard. The ones marked outboard paddles has a hole in the "foot" that is not supposed to be there. The right inboard paddle is a copy of the left, and therefore has the hole for the aileron push rod on the wrong side (when on mounted on the right hand side). No big deal, I think it will work no matter how they are mounted as long as the hole for the push rod is correct on both sides, and the extra holes on the "feet" are filled up. Anyway, I shuffled the inboard and outboard paddles so they will be 100% according to the drawings. This means I have to make one new hole and fill up two other. The holes in the feet are 1/8, and I meant to use a flush 1/8 solid rivet, but I managed to countersink a bit too much, so I went up to 5/32 and countersunk a bit too little so I could file them 100% flush when set.

I don't really like the mechanism with a steel set screw in the aluminium paddles. A little moist and salt and this is bound to corrode both at the threads of the set screw and in particular at the contact points between the tip of the set screw and the paddle, and there really is no good way to prevent this. Nothing dangerous, but I suspect these will need to be adjusted often to keep the mechanism nice and tight. Duralac can't be used here as it hardens too much (it is meant for permanent fasteners). A much better design would have been the paddles also were made of steel. This way the steel and aluminium could be insulated at the rivet joints which is perfectly doable.


No comments: