Friday, January 10, 2014

Priming and test

Primed the rib doublers and mechanism using this 3 in 1. The rest of the ribs will only be primed on the mating surfaces with vinyl.


I also made a test piece from some scrap 6061. The plan was to put in on my boat, but then I remembered my boat is on land this winter for a little fix up this spring. It's only a few meters from the sea, so I will put it there anyway and let it stay for some years. I just have to test how this 6061 and stainless rivets holds up in a real marine Norwegian atmosphere. So I made some holes and riveted a few rivets.


Half of the piece is primed with Jotun Vinyl primer. From left to right: [-, Duralac]  [-, -]  [primer, Duralac]  [primer, -]. The lower rivets are solid AN rivets for comparison.

I also looked at the Jotun polysiloxane test pieces. It has really cured by now and can withstand Aceton, ethanol and xylene just as good as my old epoxy primer. It is impervious to UV and really hard, similar to polyurethane. It really is high gloss as well. If I could just find a way to put it on so it looks remotely acceptable... Have to try to spray it on tomorrow using my primer gun and see how it goes, but I am afraid it is too viscous. 

No comments: