Monday, November 25, 2013

Aileron

Drilled holes for the ribs in the ailerons. A bit fiddling to make it all fit with all the cutouts.


The whole paint stuff is strange. When I oiled my floor in the new shop I used something called "concrete oil" for indoor use. The name is very misleading because it is no oil at all. It is an acrylic emulsion (latex paint) that soaks the surface and penetrates down into the concrete. When cured it binds the concrete together as well as making a smooth surface and is of course water proof. It is also used as a primer for epoxy floor paints. I am very satisfied with the result, it does exactly what it advertise.

This "latex paint" on airplanes is also an interesting thing, but confusing. I have looked at typical Norwegian house paints and there is no such thing as latex paint. What they call latex paint in the US can be vinyl paint, PVA (Poly Vinyl Acetate) or an acrylic emulsion, all water based. It can also be a mix. In Norway I have only seen PVA and acrylic emulsions. The difference is that the acrylic emulsions are superior to PVA. PVA is typically used on ceilings, and as cheap wall paint. Most acrylic emulsions are indoor paint. There are some acrylic emulsions for outdoor use, but most are alkyd paints, some are also acrylic hybrid water thinned alkyd paints. For vinyl paint I have only seen this primer I am using, but that is alkyd based, not an emulsion, not a "latex paint" in any shape or form.

This Stewart Systems looks interesting. My neighbor meant I could simply put a transparent cote directly on the aluminium sanded with 1000 or something sand paper. That could look very cool, but will it stick?

No comments: