Sunday, November 03, 2013

H-stab riveted

Got my new #30 drill bits on Saturday, drilled up the H-stab skeleton and riveted it together (still waiting for the 31 and 32 drill bits to be used on the skins). I know there is really no need to prime the internals of 6061 aluminium, but I just can't resist the urge to prime... Primed the thick parts with an aluminium primer from Duplicolor. That primer really feels nice, with a smooth and hard surface even though it is only 1K. Then I primed the mating surfaces using a brush and Jotun Yachting Vinyl Primer. That primer is supposed to be watertight and good, but the resulting finish wasn't all that good, it became thick and spotty.

The plan is to polish the airframe and use some color on the fiber glass parts and some of the aluminium. I would really like to use Jotun Yachting products, since they are available everywhere and they have this new system with high gloss 2K paint that that can be rolled on and is extremely durable. But the experience with the primer was not good, it probably has to be very thick to give a good finish, and then it becomes very heavy. Jotun also have a 2K epoxy primer, but then I am better off using my real aviation 2K Strontium primer (and that is just too much work and hazzle). Duplicolor automotive spray cans seem to be a better alternative right now, but will that paint last? Then I probably can use Biltema automotive paint at half the price (Biltema use some OEM paint from an unknown, but large supplier similar to Motip-Duplo). Both Biltema and Duplicolor is readily available and they have primers for plastic, steel and aluminium to be used under their color system.

Also tried my Duralac. Each rivet has to be dipped in that yellow high viscous stuff. Actually it's not that much work, because when dipped I can insert lots of rivets at the same time, they stay in place due to the viscosity. After that I just go over with my pneumatic rivet puller. For the external surfaces this yellow goo will not look nice, but the excess Duralac can be wiped off easily with paper and acetone, and still seal and protect the rivet and aluminium internally.





No comments: